Pages

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Catching up is hard to do

My niece, Vik and I standing outside of the balcony (above) where Ernest Hemingway wrote "A Farewell to Arms."

My forever boyfriend, Bruce, riding on the ski lift down Baldy.

Me, doing the same as Bruce.

No, I'm not dead and neither is my blog. Both have been on what I believed was a short vacation. Or rather, a longer vacation than expected by me. First there was the vacation, then there was the recovery-catch-up-return-to-normal-life period, often the longer of the two--or at least it seems. While having fun, the time soars away.

Before, I used to balk at this "vacation recovery stage." After all, I'd taken plenty of time off, I should return home invigorated, energetic and enthusiastic, ready to leap back into, well, everything. Instantly have the house clean, the bills paid, and write all the pages I didn't while I was gone. I spent energy berating myself instead of doing what I could do and when.

Now, after vacation is part of the vacation. This works much better. Especially if the vacation has been of the American style "Go!Go!Go!" variety, instead of sitting on a beach somewhere, napping. At the most, guilt cuts into my energy and makes it that much more difficult to catch up and get back to normal. At the least, relaxing about returning from vacation allows me to realize the fun lessons, the epiphanies, the life memories, that help me with my writing. And recognizing the need for recovery time makes it much shorter.

How about you? When you return from a vacation, do you leap into action? Or are you like me, and need a break from the break first?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures! I never got down that way, and always wanted to.

I just whine for a few days after the vacation is over, while I struggle to get back into a routine. Does that count? :-)

Dave King said...

Not like you, I'm afraid Conda. I can't wait to get back to whatever passes for normal in what is usually a fairly chaotic period.

Conda Douglas said...

Hmm, whining? Sure, Beth, if it works for you! (My whining just makes me feel more guilty, which makes me lose energy, which...you get the idea.) Although often venting to a friend helps, much!

Helen Ginger said...

I'd like vacations more if there were a maid at the house while I was gone so the house would be clean and airy. Before she left, she could get some meals ready to pop into the oven and maybe even do the vacation laundry. Hmm. On second thought, forget the vacation, just bring on a maid for a day.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Conda Douglas said...

Dave--it is delightful to return to a regular routine--I so agree! Although the excitement can become addictive...

Conda Douglas said...

Yes, Helen, I was thinking the same this weekend as I cleaned house for a dinner party. A maid for a day (or sometimes two or three in my case) would save a lot of time and energy.

Swubird said...

Cnda:

You have the right idea about vacations---relax! I friend of mine just returned from two weeks and he is so tired he can't hardly move.

By the way, I left a rely to your latest comment on my blog. Please check it out.

Happy trails.

Kathy McIntosh said...

When I allow myself to retain some of the loose-limbed, unstructured joy of a vacation, busy or relaxed, then I am energized with my creativity re-sparked.
All too often, however, I focus on all that I left undone before I left and all that went undone in my absence.
But your words are wise.

Conda Douglas said...

Swu--I did indeed check out the comments--and we are in total agreement!

And yes, I've been struggling with fatigue too--maybe I shouldn't have partied hardy all August...or at least it feels that way.

Conda Douglas said...

Me too, partly our Puritan heritage, I suspect, Kathy, to always feel guilty about what's not done. But we're never finished so might as well enjoy the traveling!

Lynda Lehmann said...

I think it's best to try to keep things in perspective and pace ourselves, Conda. But that's always a challenge, easier said than done.

I ALWAYS need a breather too, after vacation, as getting back "in the swing" can be so arduous and stressful!

Elana Johnson said...

I always need a vacay after the vacay. I try to leave my house in pristine condition before I go, so that I can chillax when I get back.

Conda Douglas said...

Lynda, "pace ourselves" YES--that's much of the secret--balance in our lives, so hard and yet so rewarding!

Conda Douglas said...

Elana, welcome to my blog and thank you for commenting. Your blog and webpage are fun and useful. Love the suggestion of leaving the house ready for a relaxed return--instead of piles of dishes and laundry...