Pages

Saturday, January 23, 2010

New Starts--Don't Stop!

Okay, the book or project is finished. Okay, it's submitted, hanging in a gallery, delivered to a client. Now what? If you're like me, the strong tendency is to slump in your computer chair and take a nap. Or read a book. Or watch a movie. Or whatever activity or non-activity I've neglected and yearned for since I began now-finished project. Which I believe is healthy and wise.

Unless. Unless it becomes a new lifestyle. When taking a break becomes a full stop. Yes, it's intimidating to start again and anew, but it's far worse to get stuck. And then go into full waiting mode--for the rejections to come in the mail.

What helps me? Goals, deadlines and working with friends on same. While working on one project, I'm thinking of the future and what's next. Deadlines, whether outside world real or self-imposed, help keep the idea that time is limited, time to get onto the next project. And most important, friends such as Kathy of Well Placed Words, encourage and support that all important, "get doing it"!

Dear reader, do you find yourself stuck after a big push? What was a small break has turned into a chasm? If so, what do you do to get started again? Blog? Clean and organize? Look up markets? Or?

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh lol, I see what you meant when you commented on my blog.
Well you know my answer :)

I am learning to live with deadlines.

Elisabeth said...

I blog to fill the gaps between projects, Conda. Once upon a time before blogging I did housework. There's always something to do. I refuse simply to wait.

Conda Douglas said...

Learning to live with deadlines, Glynis? By that you mean?

Conda Douglas said...

Too true Elisabeth, the list NEVER gets shorter...until you're dead, as my mom used to say.

Enid Wilson said...

I confess I love to catch up on sleep, after a big push, or re-read some of my favourite stories.

Really Angelic

Anonymous said...

I like to surf other blogs and leave comments. I glean inspiration and ideas from other bloggers, and I let them know with a comment that their blog helped me that day.

Stephen Tremp

Carol Kilgore said...

I hope to finish my first draft this week. I'm going to clean out closets. And write a short story. And get a massage. Then I'll start on the second draft.

Kathy McIntosh said...

Thanks for the mention, C. I'm at the waffle stage right now. Need to keep submitting, start the new, consider stories, articles and do some networking for my editing, amongst other things.
I do find that clearing my desktop and tossing old files clears my brain for the new projects, if I don't let that become my new project.

Conda Douglas said...

Enid, ah yes, sleep, I remember sleep...

Conda Douglas said...

Stephen, thank you and I'm glad my posting helped. I, too, learn so much from my fellow bloggers, like you!

Conda Douglas said...

Carol--congratulations on finishing your draft, and great idea to have a "set" amount of things to do during a break.

Helen Ginger said...

I do tend to take a break after finishing a project and then it's often hard to get started again. At some point, you just have to get up and get going on the next thing.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Conda Douglas said...

Yes, Helen, and hope that point isn't far distant!

Dave King said...

The tendency is, as you say, to slump and to do something mind-resting and non-productive, but sometimes something else is buzzing that will not be deferred and - surprisingly, perhaps)I find that very irritating. I feel cheated!

jesse said...

I certainly have this problem. I finish a reading or an essay and then somehow find myself three days later with the same stress and the same deadlines. Especially a bother when I work hard to be ahead and then let myself fall behind again.

Conda Douglas said...

Dave, my I do agree, it is irritating and happens to me all the time, the next 20 projects are clamoring in my head!

Conda Douglas said...

But, Liosis, you manage to get ahead? Amazing! And admirable. If I get caught up I'm astounded.(Probably because see my comment to Dave.)

Conda Douglas said...

Kathy, dear friend, what wise advice, be careful of grabby projects!

Swubird said...

Conda:

I do get bogged down after a run of hard work. And I admit that it's hard get started again. I guess the thing I do to get the old engine running is spend the day in the bookstore browsing, and reading and looking at magazines. Sometimes just a trip to the beach where I watch my darling Queen gather seashells will energize me.

But one the front end, I have always hated deadlines. I know it's a weakness. But I'm just one of those people with a huge authority problem, even when the authority is me!

Happy trails.

Conda Douglas said...

Swu! You always make me chuckle--and yeah, deadlines don't work for everybody!

Cornish Dreamer said...

Lol. I've got myself used to be being in a chasm at the moment; it's rather comfortable, I have to admit. How to get ready for the next big push...um, I'm still working on that one. ;-)