Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2012

What My Father Taught Me and Happy Father's Day

My father was an artist. Growing up, he lived with a Navajo family and grew fascinated with their sandpaintings. As an adult, he was the first person to permanently preserve sandpainting forms. In his art and life, he always followed the less-traveled path. Here's what my dad, Luther A. Douglas, 1919-1976 taught me about being a creative person:

1. It will always be hard and complicated.
2. It will always be simple and easy.
3. Many people will neither understand nor appreciate your end product.
4. Many people will understand and adore your end product.
5. There will never be enough time to create.
6. There is nothing but time as you are always creating.

And most of all, my father taught me, none of the above matters because being creative is not what you do, it's what you are.

Miss you, Dad.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

No comments: