Pages

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Puritans are all dead people.

Well, yeah, that's seems rather obvious, doesn't it. What I'm talking about, however, is how that good ol' Puritan work ethic is still with us and makes us all dead people. Dead because we're so trapped in work, work and more work that what we really love gets pushed aside far too often. And when we're not working, we feel guilty...or at least this has been my experience.

When I wake up to how I'm alive now and what matters is not how much money I make, or how clean the house is (and it's never clean enough) and etc. etc. the list never ends and I take a real break, a mini-vacation, and PLAY--then I return to work, writing, anything energized and focused.

And it doesn't have to be a trip to Mexico! I find taking the dog for a walk to be a great vacation--IF I truly stay present and enjoy the walk. If it's the sort of walk where I'm hurrying because it is one more thing on the list, or I'm not present because I'm worrying about everything I haven't got done then it's not a vacation, it's a punishment.

So, I'm going to play on...for a bit each day.

What are your mini-vacations?

TIP: When you take a break, make it a real break, not just another form of work.

No comments: