I've signed up for the 70 Days of Sweat Writing Challenge. I considered signing up for NaNoWriMo, but for my purposes the 70 days is better.
Why? For several reasons:
1. I just finished my w.i.p. (which isn't in progress any more) and it is easy to get caught in the WAIT mode. Wait for a response, wait to see what people say, wait until I feel ready for another project, wait until...you get the idea.
2. This new project has been rattling around in my head, screaming to get out for years. Others have muscled in before it. It's time.
3. 70 Days is longer than NaNoWriMo. This time around, I need the extra days. (Maybe NaNoWriMo next year?)
4. 70 Days has "wriggle room," 23 days off. Since it's the holidays, I need the days off.
5. It's wonderful, and works for me, to have a goal to push against.
Have you ever taken on a writing challenge like either one of these? Either a formal one, or an informal one? Did it work for you?
What do you think of these challenges? Good idea? Bad idea?