Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Running lists

The sun is out--time to get something done.

As in my previous post, how?

Here's a small thing that is inexpensive, fast and easy to use: a running list. Get a small notebook, one that you can carry in a pocket. Throughout the day, as you think of something that needs to be done, write it down. In no order. Then at the end of the day, look over your list and star the items that need to be done. Emphasis on need. If you want, you can mark the first top 3 with 1,2,3. And mark off any accomplished tasks and celebrate those tasks.

Now, here's how this really works: Train yourself to quickly jot down a list item. Only look at the list once during the day, when you prioritize, delete done tasks, and celebrate. If something isn't getting done that needs to be done, tear off a sheet, write the task in bold and put it someplace you'll see it, first thing the next morning.

This works.

2 comments:

The Muse said...

Hello again! I just had to say something here: without my lists I would be lost. I keep a notepad on the desk and constantly update it. I have the basic to-do list, a grocery list, and a topic list. Not to mention my goal and want list, which are in a special notepad. Sometimes I'm a little over the top.

Have a good one!

Conda Douglas said...

Possibly Muse, but if it works for you, it works for you! Everybody functions differently--and running lists are often for those people, like me, who forget everything, all the time. I manage to remember a little notebook, though.