Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2007

Common as dirt


Not a great photo, but I took it with my phone--ain't modern technology wonderful? And since this entry is about being okay with being okay, I figured it was a perfect picture--because there is no such thing!

And yet us creative types struggle every day with this--wanting to be perfect--or at least better than we think we are--or at least as good as what's in our heads. But if you're like me, if you're a painter, you're better than Rembrandt or Monet or Picasso, if you're a writer, you're better than Hemingway, Dickens and certainly Rowling! IN THE VISION OF THE WORK IN YOUR MIND!

Should we all strive long and hard to create the best that we can? Certainly! Should we use every tool we can discover to improve ourselves in the creative endeavor we love? Yes! Should we never release an imperfect creative piece that's common as dirt anyway? NO!

Because, like the photo above, everything is imperfect. Like the sunflower above, everything share a commonality. When I look at this photo, I smile. Not because it's perfect. Not because it is what I thought it would be when I took the photo.

It's lovely. I love sunflowers.

No comments: