Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sunday Places

This first post on various places to go to find contests and markets is focused on the short story. Jim Murdoch of The Truth About Lies pointed out, one of the best places to go is Duotrope's Digest. This site is user friendly and updated often. A blog that is fantastic for short story markets is Sandra Seaman's My Little Corner, again she posts new places often, including flash and contests, plus interesting news and tips about the writing world.

Finally, yes, this market listing is a whole big dollar an issue, BUT Kathy Ptacek finds and lists so many different markets in a vast array of formats (e-publishers to anthologies) all organized for quick referral that she deserves a mention here. And because I've found several markets last year alone that I sent to and sold to. So check out the Gila Queen's Guide to Markets.(For my artist fellow bloggers, her listings include artwork.)

Most of all write, so you can submit! And because you are writers!

What do you think, dear readers, does this, my first "Sunday Places" help? Or not? Something else you'd like to see? Or add? Let me know.

18 comments:

Kathy McIntosh said...

I love the Gila Queen and I'm off to search out those other ideas you listed.
Thanks. Anytime I can save time from others' efforts, I appreciate it.

Aubrie said...

This does help! I use Duotrope all the time. Another place that I go to is:
www.ralan.com

Thanks for posting this!

Conda Douglas said...

Oh good, Kathy, find away! And thanks.

Helen Ginger said...

I think it's very helpful for writers. Thanks Conda.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Conda Douglas said...

Thank you, Aubrie! I'd spaced out Ralan and that site rocks for SF, fantasy and horror.

Elisabeth said...

Thanks for the pointers, Conda. I shall follow them up.

Helen Ginger said...

Conda, I stopped back by to let you know I gave you an award today on my blog.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Jim Murdoch said...

I have been very lax about sending out stuff. It has been months! So, since I'm ahead on my blogs, I'm going to spend a week sending out stuff. There, I've said it in public so I'll have to do it.

Carol Kilgore said...

Market information is ALWAYS welcome, Conda.

Swubird said...

Conda:

Thanks for shining a bright light in the right direction. Now that I can see, I'll definitely check out those sites.

Happy trails

Dave King said...

I am slowly coming round to the thought of sending out stuff. These posts will be a great encouragement, I know.

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.

Conda Douglas said...

Thank you, Helen, for both your comments and for the award! I'll post sometime soon with my "passing on" to others. (And my lies, fiction writers are good liars.)

Conda Douglas said...

Elisabeth, you are most welcome--I'm hoping to get a wide range of markets for all sorts of writing.

Conda Douglas said...

Jim, great idea, to state it and send it!

Conda Douglas said...

Carol, thanks!

Conda Douglas said...

Swu--I always adore your metaphors.

Conda Douglas said...

Dave, I've seen a little of your "stuff" send 'er out!