Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2012

A ROLLICKING GREAT READ

Maven Fairy Godmother is a fabulous, fun read. This is the kind of incredibly imaginative fantasy that I adore. A lip-smacker of an afternoon read, sit down with a big cup of tea (or if you're like Maven, coffee) and some fabulous chocolate and enjoy. I love how, with the advent of e-books we're getting so much more variety of reads--authors are taking chances!

Maven is a Mundane with a truly middle-aged mundane life. That is until she gets thrust into the world of fairy. There, the magical problems pile up, but Maven never falters--or rather never falters for long. She reminds me of my favorite teacher in high school, smart, tough, gentle and most of all, able to pierce the masks we all wear to bring forth our truest best selves.

Even though the main character is middle-aged, I don't believe this novel is only for a certain age group. Maven's close friend, Tulip, is much younger, and her struggles to become a fairy godmother echo Maven's own. I can see a wide age range enjoying Maven Fairy Godmother, from tween to ninety.

One last favorite about this title that I adore, parts of the ending is unexpected and surprising in many ways, but completely satisfying. More satisfying than a more standard novel would be. Again, I appreciate authors who step out of the box.

10 comments:

J.Q. Rose said...

Now I'm going to have to add this clever book to my TBR list. Thanks for the post.

Rochelle Weber Author said...

I reviewed this book, too, and gave it five roses. It is most definitely, a must read. http://rochellesreviews.blogspot.com

Science Fiction Blog said...

Thanks for the tip, I will have to read the book! - Zach Jonesmay@OnlineBookStores

Science Fiction Blog said...

Thanks for the tip. I will have to read this book! - Zach Jonesmay@OnlineBookStores

Conda Douglas said...

JQ, yes, I strongly suggest you add!

Conda Douglas said...

Rochelle, welcome to my blog and I so agree!

Conda Douglas said...

Welcome to my blog, Zach--and I adore your blog!

Kathy McIntosh said...

Wow! sounds great. I like sassy characters and Maven sounds like one. It will be on my TBR list, too!

Sara Durham Writer ~ Author said...

Congratulations Conda on a very nice review! Sounds like a fun read!

Sara

Conda Douglas said...

Sara, thank you! It's easy to review such a fun read!