Pages

Monday, December 31, 2007

Setting an Intention

It's that annoying time of year: New Year's. When people grown and moan as they make their goal lists.

Doesn't have to be that way. There's an easier and more effective method. It's called setting an intention. I've discussed this before but it needs reiterating.

Setting an intention is more than simply semantics. Words are powerful and when you set an intention, you're saying "I intend" not "my goal is" which is static. Which is somewhere in the future. Whereas "I intend" is an active verb. "I take action." And unlike a goal, it's not possible to fail with setting an intention. You're intending, you're acting, but what will happen due to your actions is in the future and not in your control. So setting an intention means you've already succeeded.

Let me start with my intention: I intend to write the first book of my new trilogy in 2008. See? Simple. And having stated that, I'm already thinking and planning of how to make that possible, without the pressure of failing a goal.

So, readers, what is one intention you have for the new year, hmm?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great concept, Conda. So in that light, I intend to find an agent to represent my work in 2008.

Feels pretty powerful, saying it that way. I'll be anxious to hear when you've finished that book!

Happy New Year to my southern Idaho friend!

Jim Murdoch said...

What if I say,"I intend to reach my goal?"

Sorry, it's half-four in the morning and I've only had an hour's sleep and all I can see are semantics.

My intention by the way is to read more about poetry as opposed to reading more poetry that I don't get. Of course if I read anything about poetry then I will have read more than I have right now so my goal will have been reached but my intentions thwarted.

I need to go back to bed.

Conda Douglas said...

Beth, I'm willing to bet you will find that agent. If your blog posts are any indication (and they'd have to be)your work is publishable.

Reading poetry that you don't get, Jim? As an English major, I found out that, according to many English professors, the more obscure and confused a reading of a poem is, the more likely it is to get an "A". Don't make me pull out my thesis paper on Yeats' poem "Lapis Lazuli"!

Anonymous said...

Conda, that's a wonderful thing to say. And on a day that I really needed to hear it. Thanks SO much!

Hope the sun has come out in snowy Idaho! It's going to be 26 tonight, with 25 mph winds...I'll close my eyes and pretend that I'm home.

Conda Douglas said...

You're welcome, Beth--and Boise is as gloomy and cold as well--Florida. Actually tonight we might be a couple of degrees warmer!

Anonymous said...

Hard to believe, huh, Conda? They're talking single-digit wind chills here tonight! Enjoy balmy Boise! :-)

Cornish Dreamer said...

That's a wonderful idea. It goes well with the bit on passive writing I'm reading in Steven King's book "On Writing" at the moment.

Put in that way: I intend to get my work published (both writing & photography). That definately sounds more pro-active. Definately something I needed to hear!

RT

Conda Douglas said...

Rebecca--one of my favorite books of all time is King's "On Writing." Definitely a must for all writers.