Pages

Friday, August 8, 2008

Glorious Distractions


Some delightful birthday flowers from my great friend Kathy of Well Placed Words.

Ah, glorious distractions of the summer! Glorious because they are so much fun. Some of mine include: birthday parties (many friends and relatives and myself), a niece's graduation, a different niece's visit, a convention, Fandemonium, where I taught a workshop on storyboarding, a film conference, my first, an upcoming workshop on writing manga and new fitness classes for mid-lifers to teach (my other day job, check out Delightfit for more).

Whew! All fun events/activities that I wanted to do and enjoyed doing. However, all distractions from the w.i.p. Distractions that sometimes assisted my current work, more about that in the next post--but also created a struggle to "stay in the work."

No time. No energy. The one thing I found helped, a bit, was to make certain I worked for 10-15 minutes a day, every day on my w.i.p. Not necessarily turning out pages, notes (even on scraps of paper if I was away from my laptop) worked as well.

Still difficult. So, dear readers, what do you do when awash with glorious distractions? How do you avoid getting possibly remote from a current and now uncurrent work? And what have your glorious distractions been this summer?





4 comments:

Cornish Dreamer said...

Hmm. My distractions have been many, but none so worse than the rain which puts a halt to my outdoor work (which means delays for the magazine articles). I can't avoid the rain or being so busy at this time of year, so I do little things instead to keep my creative juices flowing.

Conda Douglas said...

Yeah, you can't do a thing about the weather, rebecca--but you seem to have a practical solution--do the little things.

Dave King said...

Gardens, garden shows, walks in the country, these are possibly the only distractions I welcome at all readily. Good post.

Conda Douglas said...

I would think that rather than being "distractions" those would be inspirations, Dave.