Pages

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Promo, Passion and New Year's Resolutions for Writers

My first audio book, published December 26th and it's a Christmas Story!

It's that time of year when people with product to sell go insane with promo, promo, promo. I'm one of the worst. I grew up in the ski resort of Sun Valley, Idaho. There, the two weeks before Christmas are make or break for many businesses. Having grown up with this as a business model, it's difficult for me to remember what my good friend Kathy McIntosh, award winning author of Mustard's Last Stand said: "Readers will read the day after Christmas." Yet, it's true. Readers read. And no one knows what promotion works and how or even why.

It's that time of year when people look back and then forward, twisting their necks trying to do both. I'm one of the worst. Wry neck anyone? However, this year, instead of second-guessing and predicting and following old patterns, my resolutions are all about trying something new.

My resolutions (feel free to steal):

1. What, me worry? Since no one knows what works in this new publishing world and since it changes moment to moment, one of my resolutions is to not worry about it! Do what I can and let it go. Focus on the writing.

2. See above, especially focus on the writing. The one thing everyone seems to agree on is that the one major thing that leads to success for a writer: write better and write more.

3. See above, especially focus on the writing. Because it is also following my bliss and living in my passion.

SO my New Year's Resolution is: Relax, follow my bliss and enjoy the journey.

What's yours?

7 comments:

Cellophane Queen said...

Conda! How exciting for your audio book release. Why didn't I know about this! I didn't get my first audio book rolling in time for Christmas sales. I've put up another book (my MuseItUp mystery) and the producer on my first book immediately said he wanted it. Makes me feel good, but I'm not sure if he knows something I don't.

Now I need you to visit on my blog to talk about your audio book experience. Get busy and send me a post! Now!

Kathy McIntosh said...

Such wisdom from one so young! Yes, I think we need to concentrate next year on what we love: the words. I know marketing is important, but it does wear me out at times! And there is a lot to enjoy in our lives, if we can focus on the moment instead of worrying about the future.

Conda Douglas said...

Marva, thanks for asking! I'm on it!

Conda Douglas said...

Kathy, thanks and who was it said, "We must focus on the moment, for the moment is all we possess?"

KK Brees said...

Conda, truer words were never written. That's where I find myself right now. Important to remember "Follow your bliss"

Anonymous said...

That was enjoyable to read, thanks for posting it.

Review my homepage ... Bing (http://www.bing.com)

Conda Douglas said...

Follow your bliss indeed, KK--and I like another one: "Do what you love and the money will follow."