Pages

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Glory of Christmas Stories! With a link to a free Christmas Story!


The cover for one of my romance Christmas short stories, A RICE CRISPY CHRISTMAS as I always love reading and writing Christmas stories during the Christmas season, in any genre, ghost stories, mysteries and romance.

My addiction with Christmas stories began when I read A CHRISTMAS CAROL for the first time when I was ten. Now I re-read it and still always cry whenever I read "God bless us everyone." So in honor of A CHRISTMAS CAROL turning 170 published years old yesterday, here are quick reviews of three delightful Christmas short stories, plus here's my own free read CHRISTMAS KISSES.

THE UNWANTED CHRISTMAS GUEST by Penny Estelle

This charming romance story about a tough attorney with a true love for her Downs Syndrome daughter  is one of the best I've read for this season. In some ways it's the traditional Christmas romance story, but it differs in fantastic ways that add more levels to an already good short story. The author isn't afraid to take chances, both with her characters and her plot. I wanted this story to continue on past the end, what better recommendation?

THE CHRISTMAS GIFT by John McDonnell

A delightful offering about a homeless girl during the Depression for a traditional Christmas short story. What I loved was how well the author created his world and characters, with a deft touch, not too little, not too much. Added to my list of favorite Christmas stories.

CHRISTMAS AT THE NORTH POLE COMPOUND by Christine Verstraete

This is an adorable read for a December night. I love that this story is a mystery and takes us deep into the modern world with the elves at the North Pole, where they even have security! This would be a great tale to read to youngsters, or read as an adult, as the adults will "get" the fun "elf" jokes spread liberally throughout. 

Now dear readers, please share your favorite Christmas read!


6 comments:

Kathy McIntosh said...

Great ideas. Every year, I go to the library to find a new offering from Anne Perry. They are always wonderfully uplifting. I also enjoy the Christmas books by Carol Higgins Clark, but I'm always on the lookout for new ones, so thanks for your reviews!

J.Q. Rose said...

Conda, thank you for reviewing these 3 stories. I just finished Penny Estelle's story and reviewed it too. I'll check the other two. Do you believe I posted an excerpt of my Christmas story, The Good Neighbors,on my blog and included the review you gave me for it over a year ago? What timing,eh? I'm offering a drawing to win the story. Just make a comment. Here's the link-- http://www.jqrose.com/2013/12/holiday-short-story-good-neighbors.html
Looking forward to reading your free story too. Thank you!!

Conda Douglas said...

Kathy, most welcome--I think you really have to be a Scrooge to not love Christmas stories!

Conda Douglas said...

JQ that was a lovely story, thanks for reminding me of that delightful read. I should have included it here too! But I will tweet about your giveaway to share the fun!

J.Q. Rose said...

Thank you, Conda!

chris verstraete said...

Thanks so much Conda!